- a length of cloth or an enveloping garment in which a dead person is wrapped for burial；a protective casing or cover
- wrap or dress (a body) in a shroud for burial；cover or envelop so as to conceal from view
verb: shroud, 3rd person present: shrouds, gerund or present participle: shrouding, past tense: shrouded, past participle: shrouded
noun: shroud, plural noun: shrouds
- 1. a length of cloth or an enveloping garment in which a dead person is wrapped for burial he was buried in a linen shroud 同義詞
- ▪ technical a protective casing or cover the trigger shroud prevents snagging on clothing
- 2. a thing that envelops or obscures something a shroud of mist they operate behind a shroud of secrecy 同義詞
- 3. a set of ropes forming part of the standing rigging of a sailing vessel and supporting the mast from the sides.
- ▪ each of the lines joining the canopy of a parachute to the harness.
- 1. wrap or dress (a body) in a shroud for burial the body was washed and shrouded
- 2. cover or envelop so as to conceal from view mountains shrouded by cloud the mystery that shrouds the origins of the universe