- spread or smear (a substance) thickly or liberally；spread or smear a substance thickly or liberally on
- a large amount.
verb: slather, 3rd person present: slathers, gerund or present participle: slathering, past tense: slathered, past participle: slathered
noun: slather, plural noun: slathers
- 1. informal spread or smear (a substance) thickly or liberally slather on some tanning lotion
- ▪ informal spread or smear a substance thickly or liberally on scones slathered with clotted cream
- 1. North American informal a large amount.
- freedom to act without restriction; free rein
- spread or smear (a substance) thickly or liberally: slather on some tanning lotion biscuits slathered with butter
- a large amount: slathers of cream
Oxford American Dictionary