- turn or cause to turn or whirl around quickly；(of a person's head) give a sensation of dizziness
- a rapid turning or whirling motion；revolving motion imparted to a ball in a game such as baseball, cricket, tennis, or billiards
verb: spin, 3rd person present: spins, gerund or present participle: spinning, past tense: spun, past participle: spun
noun: spin, plural noun: spins
- 1. turn or cause to turn or whirl around quickly the girl spun around in alarm the rear wheels spun violently 同義詞 revolve, rotate, turn, turn around, go around, ... 更多
- ▪ (of a person's head) give a sensation of dizziness the figures were enough to make her head spin 同義詞 reel, go around, whirl, be in a whirl, swim, ... 更多
- ▪ impart a revolving motion to (a ball) when bowling.
- ▪ (of a ball) move through the air with a revolving motion the ball spun in viciously they had to spin the ball wide
- ▪ shape (sheet metal) by pressure applied during rotation on a lathe spun metal components
- 2. draw out (wool, cotton, or other material) and convert it into threads, either by hand or with machinery an old lady sat, spinning thread they spin wool into the yarn for weaving
- ▪ make (threads) by drawing out and twisting fibers this method is used to spin filaments from syrups
- ▪ (of a spider or a silkworm or other insect) produce (gossamer or silk) or construct (a web or cocoon) by extruding a fine viscous thread from a special gland.
- 3. give (a news story or other information) a particular interpretation, especially a favorable one.
- 4. fish with a spinner they were spinning for salmon in the lake
- 1. a rapid turning or whirling motion he concluded the dance with a double spin 同義詞 rotation, revolution, turn, whirl, twirl, ... 更多
- ▪ revolving motion imparted to a ball in a game such as baseball, cricket, tennis, or billiards this racket enables the player to impart more spin to the ball
- ▪ an uncontrolled fast revolving descent of an aircraft, resulting from a stall he tried to stop the plane from going into a spin
- ▪ trademark short for spinning
- ▪ the intrinsic angular momentum of a subatomic particle.
- 2. informal a brief trip in a vehicle for pleasure a spin around town 同義詞 trip, jaunt, outing, excursion, short journey, ... 更多
- 3. a particular bias, interpretation, or point of view, intended to create a favorable (or sometimes, unfavorable) impression when presented to the public officials put a positive spin on the report 同義詞 slant, angle, twist, bias