- a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles；a thing having the shape of four equal straight sides and four right angles
- having the shape or approximate shape of a square；having the shape or approximate shape of a cube
- directly; straight；fairly; honestly
- make square or rectangular; give a square or rectangular cross section to；mark out in squares
verb: square, 3rd person present: squares, gerund or present participle: squaring, past tense: squared, past participle: squared
noun: square, plural noun: squares
- 1. a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles a grid of ruled squares
- ▪ a thing having the shape of four equal straight sides and four right angles she tore a bit of cloth into a four-inch square
- ▪ a thing having the shape or approximate shape of a cube a small square of chocolate
- ▪ a small square area on the board used in a game move the white king's pawn forward two squares
- ▪ historical a body of infantry drawn up in rectangular form.
- ▪ a unit of 100 square ft. used as a measure of flooring, roofing, etc.
- 2. an open (typically four-sided) area surrounded by buildings in a town, village, or city a market square Herald Square 同義詞
- ▪ an open area at the meeting of streets.
- ▪ US a block of buildings bounded by four streets.
- 3. the product of a number multiplied by itself a circle's area is proportional to the square of its radius
- 4. an L-shaped or T-shaped instrument used for obtaining or testing right angles a carpenter's square
- ▪ an aspect of 90° (one quarter of a circle) Venus in square to Jupiter
- 5. informal a person considered to be old-fashioned or boringly conventional in attitude or behavior Reg is such a square 同義詞
- ▪ North American a cigarette containing tobacco rather than cannabis.
- 6. North American informal a square meal three squares a day
- 1. having the shape or approximate shape of a square a square table 同義詞
- ▪ having the shape or approximate shape of a cube a square box
- ▪ having or in the form of two right angles a suitable length of wood with square ends
- ▪ having an outline resembling two corners of a square his square jaw
- ▪ broad and solid in shape he was short and square
- 2. denoting a unit of measurement equal to the area of a square whose side is of the unit specified 30,000 square feet of new gallery space
- ▪ denoting the length of each side of a square shape or object the office was fifteen feet square
- 3. at right angles; perpendicular these lines must be square to the top and bottom marked edges
- ▪ having or denoting an aspect of 90° Jupiter is square to the Sun
- 4. level or parallel place one piece of wood on top of the other, ensuring that they are exactly square
- ▪ properly arranged; in good order we should get everything square before we leave
- ▪ compatible or in agreement he wanted to make sure we were square with the court's decision and not subject to a lawsuit
- ▪ fair and honest she'd been as square with him as anybody could be 同義詞 反義詞
- 5. (of two people) owing nothing to each other an acknowledgment that we are square
- ▪ with both players or sides having equal scores in a game the goal brought the match all square once again 同義詞 反義詞
- 6. informal old-fashioned or boringly conventional Elvis was anything but square 同義詞 反義詞
- 7. (of rhythm) simple and straightforward.
- 1. directly; straight it hit me square in the forehead
- ▪ fairly; honestly I'd acted square and on the level with him
- 1. make square or rectangular; give a square or rectangular cross section to you can square off the other edge they felled and squared the timber themselves
- ▪ mark out in squares that this watercolor was a first draft is made clear by the fact that the sheet of paper has been squared
- 2. multiply (a number) by itself 5 squared equals 25
- 3. balance (an account) they're anxious to square their books before the audit
- ▪ make the score of (a match or game) even his goal squared the match 1-1 同義詞
- 4. bring (one's shoulders) into a position in which they appear square and broad, typically to prepare oneself for a difficult task or event chin up, shoulders squared, she stepped into the room
- ▪ adopt a posture of defense.
- 5. informal secure the help, acquiescence, or silence of (someone), especially by offering an inducement faced with such declarations, politicians were resolved to squash or square the press 同義詞
- 6. set (a yard or other part of a ship) approximately at right angles to the keel or other point of reference.
- 7. (of a planet) have a square aspect with (another planet or position) Saturn squares the Sun on the 17th