- material consisting of threads of cotton, hemp, or other material twisted together to form a thin length；a piece of string used to tie around or attach to something
- hang (something) so that it stretches in a long line；thread (a series of small objects) on a string
verb: string, 3rd person present: strings, gerund or present participle: stringing, past tense: strung, past participle: strung
noun: string, plural noun: strings
- 1. material consisting of threads of cotton, hemp, or other material twisted together to form a thin length unwieldy packs tied up with string 同義詞 twine, cord, yarn, thread, strand, ... 更多
- ▪ a piece of string used to tie around or attach to something the elephant mask had a trunk you could raise by pulling a string
- ▪ a piece of catgut or similar material interwoven with others to form the head of a sports racket.
- ▪ a length of catgut or wire on a musical instrument, producing a note by vibration the D string broke
- ▪ the stringed instruments in an orchestra the blend of the wind-group is less perfect than that of the strings 同義詞 stringed instruments
- ▪ relating to or consisting of stringed instruments a string quartet
- 2. a set of things tied or threaded together on a thin cord she wore a string of agates around her throat 同義詞 strand, rope, necklace, rosary, chaplet
- ▪ a sequence of similar items or events a string of burglaries 同義詞 series, succession, chain, sequence, concatenation, ... 更多
- ▪ a linear sequence of characters, words, or other data.
- ▪ a group of racehorses trained at one stable.
- ▪ a team or player holding a specified position in an order of preference Gary was first string on the varsity football team
- 3. a tough piece of fiber in vegetables, meat, or other food, such as a tough elongated piece connecting the two halves of a bean pod.
- 4. short for stringboard
- 5. a hypothetical one-dimensional subatomic particle having the dynamical properties of a flexible loop.
- ▪ a hypothetical threadlike concentration of energy within the structure of space–time.
- 1. hang (something) so that it stretches in a long line lights were strung across the promenade 同義詞 hang, suspend, sling, stretch, thread, ... 更多
- ▪ thread (a series of small objects) on a string he collected stones with holes in them and strung them on a strong cord 同義詞 thread, loop, link, join
- ▪ be arranged in a long line the houses were strung along the road
- 2. fit a string or strings to (a musical instrument, a racket, or a bow) the harp had been newly strung
- 3. remove the strings from (a bean).
- 4. British another term for lag