- the state of being stretched tight；the state of having the muscles stretched tight, especially as causing strain or discomfort
- apply a force to (something) which tends to stretch it
noun: tension, plural noun: tensions
- 1. the state of being stretched tight the parachute keeps the cable under tension as it drops 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the state of having the muscles stretched tight, especially as causing strain or discomfort the elimination of neck tension can relieve headaches
- ▪ a strained state or condition resulting from forces acting in opposition to each other enormous tension can build up along the margin of the two plates and occasionally explodes into immense earthquakes
- ▪ the degree of tightness of stitches in knitting and machine sewing.
- ▪ electromotive force.
- 2. mental or emotional strain a mind which is affected by stress or tension cannot think as clearly 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a strained political or social state or relationship the coup followed months of tension between the military and the government racial tensions 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a relationship between ideas or qualities with conflicting demands or implications the basic tension between freedom and control
- 1. apply a force to (something) which tends to stretch it it is best to insert the battens before the outhaul is tensioned the final part of assembly is the bow tensioning