- a long, thin strand of cotton, nylon, or other fibers used in sewing or weaving；cotton, nylon, or other fibers spun into long, thin strands and used for sewing
- pass a thread through the eye of (a needle) or through the needle and guides of (a sewing machine)；pass (a long, thin object or piece of material) through something and into the required position for use
verb: thread, 3rd person present: threads, gerund or present participle: threading, past tense: threaded, past participle: threaded
noun: thread, plural noun: threads
- 1. a long, thin strand of cotton, nylon, or other fibers used in sewing or weaving he had a loose thread on his shirt the thread that bound them had snapped
- ▪ cotton, nylon, or other fibers spun into long, thin strands and used for sewing she put her needle and thread away 同義詞
- ▪ literary a long, thin line or piece of something the river was a thread of silver below them 同義詞
- 2. a theme or characteristic, typically forming one of several, running throughout a situation or piece of writing a common thread running through the scandals was the failure to conduct audits 同義詞
- ▪ (in online communication) a sequence of linked posts or messages.
- ▪ a programming structure or process formed by linking a number of separate elements or subroutines, especially each of the tasks executed concurrently in multithreading.
- 3. a helical ridge on the outside of a screw, bolt, etc. or on the inside of a cylindrical hole, to allow two parts to be screwed together.
- 4. North American informal clothes his fine threads and fashionable specs
- 1. pass a thread through the eye of (a needle) or through the needle and guides of (a sewing machine) I can't even thread a needle she threaded up the machine with the right cotton
- ▪ pass (a long, thin object or piece of material) through something and into the required position for use he threaded the rope through a pulley 同義詞
- ▪ put (something) on a thread, chain, etc. that passes through it, especially in such a way as to connect a number of things by passing a thread through each Connie sat threading beads thread the buttons onto a length of cotton 同義詞
- ▪ move carefully or skillfully in and out of obstacles she threaded her way through the tables 同義詞
- ▪ interweave or intersperse as if with threads his hair had become ill-kempt and threaded with gray
- 2. pluck hairs from (the eyebrows or another part of the body) using a twisted cotton thread I had my eyebrows threaded today
- 3. cut a screw thread in or on (a hole, screw, bolt, etc.) we're laser-cutting holes to be threaded for screws