- a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength；a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood
- give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle)；give (a monochrome picture) an altered color in finishing by means of a chemical solution
verb: tone, 3rd person present: tones, gerund or present participle: toning, past tense: toned, past participle: toned
noun: tone, plural noun: tones
- 1. a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength the piano tone appears monochrome or lacking in warmth 同義詞
- ▪ a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood a firm tone of voice 同義詞
- ▪ a musical note, warble, or other sound used as a particular signal on a telephone or answering machine. 同義詞
- 2. the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc. my friend and I lowered the tone with our oafish ways there was a general tone of ill-concealed glee in the reporting 同義詞
- ▪ informal an atmosphere of respectability or class they don't feel he gives the place tone
- 3. a basic interval in classical Western music, equal to two semitones and separating, for example, the first and second notes of an ordinary scale (such as C and D, or E and F sharp); a major second or whole step the B flat clarinet's part is written one tone higher than the pitch required
- 4. the particular quality of brightness, deepness, or hue of a tint or shade of a color stained glass in vivid tones of red and blue an attractive color that is even in tone and texture 同義詞
- ▪ the general effect of color or of light and shade in a picture.
- ▪ a slight degree of difference in the intensity of a color.
- 5. (in some languages, such as Chinese) a particular pitch pattern on a syllable used to make semantic distinctions.
- ▪ (in some languages, such as English) intonation on a word or phrase used to add functional meaning.
- 6. the normal level of firmness or slight contraction in a resting muscle a reduction of muscle tone a certain amount of daily exercise is essential to maintain proper body tone and function
- ▪ the normal level of activity in a nerve fiber vagal tone
- 1. give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle) push-ups help tone your abs
- 2. give (a monochrome picture) an altered color in finishing by means of a chemical solution it's a good idea to sepia tone the whole print first