- a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength；a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood
- give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle)；give (a monochrome picture) an altered color in finishing by means of a chemical solution
verb: tone, 3rd person present: tones, gerund or present participle: toning, past tense: toned, past participle: toned
noun: tone, plural noun: tones
- 1. a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength the piano tone appears monochrome or lacking in warmth 同義詞 timbre, sound, sound quality, voice, voice quality, ... 更多
- ▪ a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood a firm tone of voice 同義詞 intonation, tone of voice, mode of expression, expression, inflection, ... 更多
- ▪ a musical note, warble, or other sound used as a particular signal on a telephone or answering machine. 同義詞 note, beep, bleep, meep, whine, ... 更多
- 2. the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc. my friend and I lowered the tone with our oafish ways there was a general tone of ill-concealed glee in the reporting 同義詞 mood, quality, feel, style, note, ... 更多
- ▪ informal an atmosphere of respectability or class they don't feel he gives the place tone
- 3. a basic interval in classical Western music, equal to two semitones and separating, for example, the first and second notes of an ordinary scale (such as C and D, or E and F sharp); a major second or whole step the B flat clarinet's part is written one tone higher than the pitch required
- 4. the particular quality of brightness, deepness, or hue of a tint or shade of a color stained glass in vivid tones of red and blue an attractive color that is even in tone and texture 同義詞 tint, shade, color, hue, tinge, ... 更多
- ▪ the general effect of color or of light and shade in a picture.
- ▪ a slight degree of difference in the intensity of a color.
- 5. (in some languages, such as Chinese) a particular pitch pattern on a syllable used to make semantic distinctions.
- ▪ (in some languages, such as English) intonation on a word or phrase used to add functional meaning.
- 6. the normal level of firmness or slight contraction in a resting muscle a reduction of muscle tone a certain amount of daily exercise is essential to maintain proper body tone and function
- ▪ the normal level of activity in a nerve fiber vagal tone
- 1. give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle) push-ups help tone your abs
- 2. give (a monochrome picture) an altered color in finishing by means of a chemical solution it's a good idea to sepia tone the whole print first