- a marked change in form, nature, or appearance；a sudden dramatic change of scenery on stage.
noun: transformation, plural noun: transformations
- 1. a marked change in form, nature, or appearance British society underwent a radical transformation
- ▪ a sudden dramatic change of scenery on stage.
- ▪ a metamorphosis during the life cycle of an animal.
- ▪ the induced or spontaneous change of one element into another by a nuclear process.
- 2. a process by which one figure, expression, or function is converted into another one of similar value.
- 3. a process by which an element in the underlying logical deep structure of a sentence is converted to an element in the surface structure.
- 4. the genetic alteration of a cell by introduction of extraneous DNA, especially by a plasmid.
- ▪ the heritable modification of a cell from its normal state to a malignant state.
- a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance: its landscape has undergone a radical transformation
Oxford American Dictionary