- express the sense of (words or text) in another language；be expressed or be capable of being expressed in another language
verb: translate, 3rd person present: translates, gerund or present participle: translating, past tense: translated, past participle: translated
- 1. express the sense of (words or text) in another language the German original has been translated into English 同義詞
- ▪ be expressed or be capable of being expressed in another language shiatsu literally translates as “finger pressure.”
- ▪ convert something or be converted into (another form or medium) few of Shakespeare's other works have been translated into ballets 同義詞
- ▪ convert (a sequence of nucleotides in messenger RNA) to an amino acid sequence in a protein or polypeptide during synthesis.
- 2. move from one place or condition to another she had been translated from familiar surroundings to a foreign court 同義詞
- ▪ formal move (a bishop) to another see or pastoral charge in 1228 he was translated from Salisbury to Durham
- ▪ formal remove (a saint's relics) to another place.
- ▪ literary convey (someone, typically still alive) to heaven.
- 3. cause (a body) to move so that all its parts travel in the same direction, without rotation or change of shape.
- ▪ transform (a geometric figure) in an analogous way.
- express the sense of (words or text) in another language: several of his books were translated into English