- grass and the surface layer of earth held together by its roots；a piece of turf cut from the ground.
- force (someone) to leave somewhere；cover (a patch of ground) with turf
verb: turf, 3rd person present: turfs, gerund or present participle: turfing, past tense: turfed, past participle: turfed
noun: turf, plural noun: turfs
- 1. grass and the surface layer of earth held together by its roots they walked across the springy turf 同義詞
- ▪ a piece of turf cut from the ground.
- ▪ peat used for fuel the smell of turf burning on a winter night a turf fire
- 2. horse racing or racecourses generally he spent his money gambling on the turf 同義詞
- 3. informal an area or sphere of activity regarded as someone's personal territory he did not like poachers on his turf 同義詞
- 1. British informal force (someone) to leave somewhere they were turfed off the bus
- 2. cover (a patch of ground) with turf the plot of land has been turfed there is a turfed lawn area off the patio