- the fact or quality of being different, divergent, or inconsistent；the state or fact of disagreeing or quarreling
noun: variance, plural noun: variances
- 1. the fact or quality of being different, divergent, or inconsistent her light tone was at variance with her sudden trembling
- ▪ the state or fact of disagreeing or quarreling they were at variance with all their previous allies
- ▪ a discrepancy between two statements or documents.
- ▪ an official dispensation from a rule or regulation, typically a building regulation.
- ▪ a quantity equal to the square of the standard deviation.