- a body's relative mass or the quantity of matter contained by it, giving rise to a downward force; the heaviness of a person or thing；the force exerted on the mass of a body by a gravitational field.
- hold (something) down by placing a heavy object on top of it；make (something) heavier by attaching a heavy object to it, especially so as to make it stay in place
verb: weight, 3rd person present: weights, gerund or present participle: weighting, past tense: weighted, past participle: weighted
noun: weight, plural noun: weights
- 1. a body's relative mass or the quantity of matter contained by it, giving rise to a downward force; the heaviness of a person or thing he was at least 175 pounds in weight 同義詞 heaviness, mass, load, burden, pressure, ... 更多
- ▪ the force exerted on the mass of a body by a gravitational field.
- ▪ the quality of being heavy as he came upstairs the boards creaked under his weight
- ▪ a unit or system of units used for expressing how much an object or quantity of matter weighs weights and measures
- 2. a piece of metal known to weigh a definite amount and used on scales to determine how heavy an object or quantity of a substance is.
- ▪ a heavy object, especially one being lifted or carried be careful when lifting a heavy weight
- ▪ a heavy object used to give an impulse or act as a counterweight in a mechanism.
- ▪ a heavy object propelled by a shot-putter.
- ▪ blocks or discs of metal or other heavy material used in weightlifting or weight training.
- ▪ the amount that a jockey is expected or required to weigh, or the amount that a horse can easily carry.
- 3. the ability of someone or something to influence decisions or actions a recommendation by the committee will carry great weight 同義詞 influence, force, leverage, sway, muscle, ... 更多
- ▪ the importance attached to something individuals differ in the weight they attach to various aspects of a job
- ▪ a factor associated with one of a set of numerical quantities, used to represent its importance relative to the other members of the set.
- 4. the surface density of cloth, used as a measure of its quality.
- 1. hold (something) down by placing a heavy object on top of it a mug half filled with coffee weighted down a stack of papers
- ▪ make (something) heavier by attaching a heavy object to it, especially so as to make it stay in place the jugs were covered with muslin veils weighted with colored beads
- 2. attach importance or value to speaking, reading, and writing should be weighted equally in the assessment
- ▪ be planned or arranged so as to put a specified person, group, or factor in a position of advantage or disadvantage the balance of power is weighted in favor of the government
- ▪ multiply the components of (an average) by factors to take account of their importance.
- 3. assign a handicap weight to (a horse).
- 4. treat (a fabric) with a substance to make it seem thicker and heavier.