- a whaling ship.；a seaman engaged in whaling.
noun: whaler, plural noun: whalers
- 1. a whaling ship.
- ▪ a seaman engaged in whaling.
- 2. any of a number of large slender-bodied sharks.
- 3. Australian, New Zealand informal a tramp, especially one who follows the course of a river.
- a person who hunted whales from a station on the shore: the harbours of southwestern Australia were being used by sealers and bay whalers
- a swagman who follows the course of a river: a Murrumbidgee whaler was plodding along heavily in the distance
- a swagman who follows the course of a river: a fishing line forms part of most Murray whalers' travelling furniture
- a whaling ship.
Oxford American Dictionary