- a toy that spins around, for example, a top or a pinwheel.；another term for merry-go-round
noun: whirligig, plural noun: whirligigs
- 1. a toy that spins around, for example, a top or a pinwheel.
- ▪ another term for merry-go-round
- ▪ a thing regarded as hectic or constantly changing the whirligig of time
- 2. a small black predatory beetle which swims rapidly in circles on the surface of still or slow-moving water and dives when alarmed.
- a toy that spins round, for example a top or windmill.