- IPA[ˈwiNG ˌnət]
- a nut with a pair of projections for the fingers to screw it on.；a mad or crazy person
noun: wing nut, plural noun: wing nuts
- 1. a nut with a pair of projections for the fingers to screw it on.
- 2. US informal, derogatory a mad or crazy person some wingnut down in Finance
- ▪ a person with extreme, typically right-wing, views McCarthyite wingnuts
- 3. an Asian tree of the walnut family, with a deeply fissured trunk, compound leaves, and characteristic broad-winged nutlets.