- demand (an amount) as a price for a service rendered or goods supplied；record the cost of something as an amount payable by (someone) or on (an account)
- a price asked for goods or services；a financial liability or commitment
verb: charge, 3rd person present: charges, gerund or present participle: charging, past tense: charged, past participle: charged
noun: charge, plural noun: charges
- 1. demand (an amount) as a price for a service rendered or goods supplied wedding planners may charge an hourly fee of up to £150 he charged me five dollars for the wine 同義詞 ask in payment, ask, fix a charge, fix a price, impose, ... 更多
- ▪ record the cost of something as an amount payable by (someone) or on (an account) they charge the calls to their credit card accounts 同義詞 bill, put down, debit from, take from反義詞 credit to
- 2. formally accuse (someone) of something, especially an offence under law they were charged with assault 同義詞 accuse of, indict for, arraign for, prosecute for, try for, ... 更多反義詞 absolve
- ▪ make an accusation or assertion that opponents charged that below-cost pricing would reduce safety
- ▪ formally accuse someone of (an offence) they filed a lawsuit charging fraud and breach of contract
- 3. entrust (someone) with a task as a duty or responsibility the committee was charged with reshaping the educational system 同義詞 entrust, burden, encumber, hamper, saddle, ... 更多
- 4. store electrical energy in (a battery or battery-operated device) the shaver can be charged up and used while travelling
- ▪ (of a battery or battery-operated device) receive and store electrical energy.
- ▪ load or fill (a container, gun, etc.) to the full or proper extent see to it that your glasses are charged 同義詞 fill, fill up, fill to the brim, stock, load, ... 更多反義詞 empty
- ▪ fill or pervade with a quality or emotion the air was charged with menace 同義詞 suffuse, pervade, permeate, saturate, infuse, ... 更多
- 5. rush forward in attack the plan is to charge headlong at the enemy 同義詞 rush, move quickly, storm, stampede, career, ... 更多反義詞 retreat
- ▪ rush aggressively towards (someone or something) in attack I don't advise anyone to charge that barricade 同義詞 attack, storm, rush, assault, assail, ... 更多
- ▪ move quickly and forcefully Henry charged up the staircase
- 6. place a heraldic bearing on a pennant argent, charged with a cross gules
- 1. a price asked for goods or services our standard charge for a letter is £25 同義詞 fee, price, tariff, amount, sum, ... 更多
- ▪ a financial liability or commitment an asset of some £102.7 m should have been taken as a charge on earnings
- 2. an accusation, typically one formally made against a prisoner brought to trial he appeared in court on a charge of attempted murder 同義詞 accusation, allegation, indictment, arraignment, citation, ... 更多
- 3. responsibility for the care or control of someone or something the people in her charge are pupils and not experimental subjects 同義詞 care, protection, safe keeping, keeping, supervision, ... 更多
- ▪ a person or thing entrusted to the care of someone the babysitter watched over her charges 同義詞 ward, protégé, dependant, pupil, trainee, ... 更多反義詞 guardian
- ▪ dated a responsibility or duty assigned to someone I have therefore laid down the charge which was placed upon me 同義詞 duty, responsibility, task, job, obligation, ... 更多
- ▪ an official instruction, especially one given by a judge to a jury regarding points of law the judge gave a painstakingly careful charge to the jury 同義詞 instruction, direction, directive, order, command, ... 更多
- 4. the property of matter that is responsible for electrical phenomena, existing in a positive or negative form.
- ▪ the quantity of matter responsible for electrical phenomena carried by a body.
- ▪ energy stored chemically for conversion into electricity.
- ▪ an act or period of storing electrical energy in a battery.
- ▪ informal a thrill I get a real charge out of working hard
- 5. a quantity of explosive to be detonated in order to fire a gun or similar weapon smaller charges, fired on three minute fuses lit by hand
- 6. a headlong rush forward, typically in attack a cavalry charge 同義詞 attack, assault, offensive, onslaught, offence, ... 更多反義詞 retreat
- 7. a device or bearing placed on a shield or crest.