- succeed in forcing a way into or through (a thing)；(of a man) insert the penis into the vagina or anus of (a sexual partner).
verb: penetrate, 3rd person present: penetrates, gerund or present participle: penetrating, past tense: penetrated, past participle: penetrated
- 1. succeed in forcing a way into or through (a thing) the shrapnel had penetrated his head and chest tunnels that penetrate deep into the earth's core 同義詞 pierce, puncture, make a hole in, perforate, stab, ... 更多
- ▪ (of a man) insert the penis into the vagina or anus of (a sexual partner).
- ▪ infiltrate (an enemy group or rival organization) in order to spy on it they feared that their council had been penetrated by informers 同義詞 infiltrate, slip into, sneak into, creep into, insinuate oneself into, ... 更多
- ▪ (of a company) begin to sell its products in (a particular market or area) Honda has succeeded in penetrating Western motorcycle markets
- ▪ succeed in understanding or gaining insight into (something complex or mysterious) a magician who seemed to have penetrated the mysteries of nature 同義詞 understand, comprehend, apprehend, fathom, grasp, ... 更多
- ▪ be fully understood or realized by someone as his words penetrated, she saw a mental picture of him with Dawn 同義詞 be understood, be comprehended, be taken in, be grasped, become clear, ... 更多
- able to make a way through or into something: the problem of penetrating damp the penetrating scents of pine and eucalyptus
Oxford American Dictionary
- able to make a way through or into something: the problem of penetrating damp
- go into or through (something), especially with force or effort: the shrapnel had penetrated his head tunnels that penetrate deep into the earth's core