- comparative darkness and coolness caused by shelter from direct sunlight；the darker part of a picture.
- screen from direct light；cover, moderate, or exclude the light of
verb: shade, 3rd person present: shades, gerund or present participle: shading, past tense: shaded, past participle: shaded
noun: shade, plural noun: shades
- 1. comparative darkness and coolness caused by shelter from direct sunlight sitting in the shade this area will be in shade for much of the day 同義詞 shadow, shadiness, shadows, coolness, cool, ... 更多反義詞 light, glare
- ▪ the darker part of a picture.
- ▪ a position of relative inferiority or obscurity her elegant pink and black ensemble would put most outfits in the shade
- ▪ literary a shadow or area of darkness the shades of evening drew on 同義詞 darkness, gathering darkness, dimness, dusk, semidarkness, ... 更多反義詞 sunlight, daylight
- ▪ historical a portrait in silhouette.
- 2. a color, especially with regard to how light or dark it is or as distinguished from one nearly like it various shades of blue Maria's eyes darkened in shade 同義詞 color, hue, tone, tint, tinge, ... 更多
- ▪ a slight degree of difference between colors.
- ▪ a slightly differing variety of something politicians of all shades of opinion 同義詞 nuance, gradation, modulation, shading, degree, ... 更多
- ▪ a slight amount of something there is a shade of wistfulness in his rejection 同義詞 a little, a bit, a trace, a touch, a dash, ... 更多
- 3. a lampshade a small lamp with a crimson shade
- ▪ North American a screen or blind on a window draw the shades, chill the wine 同義詞 blind, curtain, venetian blind, screen, shield, ... 更多
- ▪ an eyeshade.
- ▪ informal sunglasses he wore shades and a leather jacket 同義詞 sunglasses, dark glasses, informalsunnies, trademarkPolaroids, Raybans
- 4. literary a ghost the ghost is the shade of Lucy Walters, first mistress of Charles II 同義詞 ghost, specter, phantom, apparition, spirit, ... 更多
- ▪ the underworld; Hades.
- 1. screen from direct light she shaded her eyes against the sun 同義詞 cast a shadow over, shadow, shut out the light from, block off the light to, darken, ... 更多
- ▪ cover, moderate, or exclude the light of he shaded the flashlight with his hand
- 2. darken or color (an illustration or diagram) with parallel pencil lines or a block of color she shaded in the outline of a chimney 同義詞 darken, color in, pencil in, block in, fill in, ... 更多
- ▪ (of a color or something colored) gradually change into another color the sky shaded from turquoise to night blue 同義詞 change gradually, transmute, turn, go, become, ... 更多
- 3. make a slight reduction in the amount, rate, or price of banks may shade the margin over base rate they charge customers