- move one's hand or a cloth repeatedly back and forth on the surface of (something) with firm pressure；move (one's hand, a cloth, or another object) back and forth over a surface
- an act of rubbing；an ointment designed to be rubbed on the skin to ease pain
noun: rub, plural noun: rubs
- 1. move one's hand or a cloth repeatedly back and forth on the surface of (something) with firm pressure she rubbed her arm, where she had a large bruise he rubbed at the dirt on his jeans 同義詞
- ▪ move (one's hand, a cloth, or another object) back and forth over a surface he rubbed a finger around the rim of his mug
- ▪ (with reference to two things) to move or cause to move to and fro against each other with a certain amount of pressure and friction many insects make noises by rubbing parts of their bodies together the ice breaks into small floes that rub against each other
- ▪ (of shoes or other hard items in contact with the skin) cause pain through friction badly fitting shoes can rub painfully 同義詞
- ▪ make dry, clean, or smooth with pressure from a hand, cloth, or other object she found a towel and began rubbing her hair she rubbed herself as dry as possible
- ▪ spread (ointment, polish, or a substance of similar consistency) over a surface with repeated movements of one's hand or a cloth she took out her sunblock and rubbed some on her nose 同義詞
- ▪ work an ingredient into (a mixture) by breaking and blending it with firm movements of one's fingers sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the fat
- ▪ reproduce the design of (a gravestone, memorial tablet, etc.) by laying paper on it and rubbing the paper with charcoal, colored chalk, etc.
- ▪ (of a bowl in lawn bowling) be slowed or diverted by the unevenness of the ground.
- 1. an act of rubbing she pulled out a towel and gave her head a quick rub 同義詞
- ▪ an ointment designed to be rubbed on the skin to ease pain a muscle rub
- ▪ a mixture of spices and other seasonings that is applied to the surface of meat or fish before cooking he will be using coffee in a rub for a rack of lamb
- 2. a difficulty, especially one of central importance in a situation that was the rub—she had not cared enough 同義詞
- 3. (in lawn bowling) an uneven patch of ground that impedes or diverts a bowl.