- mark (letters, words, or other symbols) on a surface, typically paper, with a pen, pencil, or similar implement；have the ability to mark coherent letters or words
verb: write, 3rd person present: writes, gerund or present participle: writing, past tense: wrote, past participle: written
- 1. mark (letters, words, or other symbols) on a surface, typically paper, with a pen, pencil, or similar implement he wrote his name on the paper he wrote very neatly in blue ink 同義詞
- ▪ have the ability to mark coherent letters or words he couldn't read or write
- ▪ fill in (a cheque) he had to write a cheque for £800
- ▪ Canadian, South African take (an exam or test) I wrote Prof. Weldon's Middle English exam last week
- 2. compose, write, and send (a letter) to someone I wrote a letter to Alison I wrote him a short letter 同義詞
- ▪ North American write and send a letter to Mother wrote me and told me about poor Simon's death
- 3. compose (a text or work) for written or printed reproduction or publication; put into literary form and set down in writing she wrote a bestselling novel I didn't know you wrote poetry 同義詞
- ▪ compose (a musical work) he has written a song specifically for her
- ▪ add or remove a character to or from (a long-running story or series).
- ▪ archaic describe in writing if I could write the beauty of your eyes
- 4. enter (data) into an electronic or magnetic storage device, or into a particular location in a computer’s file system files can be read and written directly into the file system
- 5. underwrite (an insurance policy).